Common nail abnormalities
- Brittleness: increases with age and can be associated with iron deficiency in some people.
- Roughness: common and usually of little significance.
- Pits: classical feature of psoriasis, but also found in eczema and in alopecia areata.
- Onycholysis (fungal nail infection)
- Lifting of the nail from the underlying nail bed, which can be found in psoriasis, fungal infections, overactive thyroid, lesions under the nail, associated with some medications, and sometimes without cause.
- Discolouration: white marks are common and normal, generally white nails can be found in liver disease, pale nails in anaemia, yellow nails in fungal infections, green-blue ones in pseudomonas infection, black-brown with bruising, moles or melanoma.
These are just some of the abnormalities that can be found in nails, and some of the associated causes. Other abnormalities include ridging, washboard nails, thickening, scarring and loss of nails, all with a variety of causes.
Treating nail diseases
Nail diseases can be treated in different ways, depending on the cause of the disease. This may be with antibiotics or antifungal agents, therapy aimed at treating eczema or psoriasis, surgery or with lasers. Your condition will be assessed and the most appropriate treatment option discussed with you.
If you would like to speak to us, fill in the enquiry form and we will be in touch, or call us on 0161 509 1294.
Why choose Everything Skin Clinic?
At Everything Skin Clinic™, we have a team of highly trained Consultant dermatologists, who have completed specialist training in Dermatology and are on the specialist register of the General Medical Council. All our consultants hold substantive contracts with the best Dermatology centres in leading NHS hospitals. Therefore, you can be certain of the highest quality private care.
We offer a range of treatments and can offer one, or a combination of treatments to achieve the best results. Unlike many other clinics, we can offer diagnosis and treatment all under one roof by expert consultant dermatologist, so you know you’ll be in safe hands.